Wednesday, July 11, 2012

F o o d i e : F r i d g e P i c k l e s





I like the idea of canning, but I don't have the patience or supplies to actually do official canning... thanks to freezer jelly and this pickle recipe I can still satisfy my inner Betty Crocker.

In a bowl combine 1 cup water, 1 cup white vinegar, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 tablespoon sugar (next time I think I will add a bit more sugar for a slightly sweeter pickle). Stir to dissolve. Pour into a jar with sliced cucumbers, (I used 4 baby cucumbers) two whole cloves of garlic (you could smash them for a stronger flavor) a few sprigs of fresh dill, some mustard seeds (optional) and some whole peppercorns. Seal and leave in the refrigerator overnight. you can eat them the next day - although I found them to be at their best flavor after about 3 days. They will last in the fridge for up to a month. These are great on hamburgers or on their own as a savory snack!


(recipe adapted from this post)

No comments: