Thursday, August 30, 2012

F o o d i e : F r e e z e r J a m





Earlier this summer I made a whole supply of freezer jam! I absolutely love this stuff and its quite easy to make - no cooking required!
Just pick up a jar of of instant pectin, (it should even say it's for freezer jam on the bottle or pouch) You can find it along with all of the other canning supplies at your local grocery store. 
The classic recipe is on the bottle!

This time I made the classic strawberry with fresh fruit, but I also did some experimenting with frozen fruit and made raspberry-peach and raspberry-blackberry (this one was particularly good). I wouldn't recommend using frozen strawberries for this, however peaches hold up their texture quite well after being frozen. This is a great alternative to this recipe incase you get the urge to make some freezer jam in the middle of winter and fresh fruit is too pricey!

*Just a note - I use a blender to break down the fruit instead of mashing it. This is a big timesaver and gives a more consistent texture. Store your supply in the freezer for up to a year!

No comments: